Neck Pain Treatment From Our Gig Harbor Chiropractor
It's easy to take normal neck motion for granted until neck pain suddenly deprives you of it, robbing you of your ability to work, play, or sleep through the night. Happily, conservative neck pain treatment from our Gig Harbor chiropractor, Dr. Duppenthaler, can help you obtain relief without surgical intervention.
Possible Reasons for Your Neck Pain
Neck pain can occur for many different reasons, partly because the neck itself has so many different components to it. The topmost section of the spinal cord is housed here, surrounded by vertebrae which in turn are articulated by small joints called facet joints. Major muscles and connective tissues hold the head up and support its weight in a variety of postures. Any or all of these structures can suffer from damage or chronic problems, with neck pain as the result. Common examples include:
- Whiplash, an acute neck injury caused by the head being whipped back and forth violently
- Bulging discs that "go flat," reducing the space between the vertebrae and putting the fact joints under chronic strain
- Osteoarthritis of the facet joints, which can be a long-term outcome of chronic strain
- A herniated disc in the neck pressing on nerve roots in the cervical spine
- Cervical spinal stenosis, in which the bone around the spinal cord begins to compress the nerve tissue
- Cervical spondylolisthesis, a front-to-back misalignment of two adjacent vertebrae in the neck
- Chronic neck muscle strain due to a misalignment between the skull and the upper cervical vertebrae
Your neck pain may not stop at your neck -- or even originate from there. A pinched nerve root in the cervical spine, for instance, can refer pain signals and other abnormal sensations into the shoulder or down the arm, a problem called cervical radiculopathy. The reverse may also be true, with arthritis, bursitis or muscular strain in the shoulder sending pain into the neck area.
Natural Solutions for Neck and Shoulder Pain
You'll be glad to know that surgery is usually the last resort for neck and shoulder pain. Here at Maritime Chiropractic, we examine not just your neck but your entire musculoskeletal system to pinpoint the actual cause of your symptoms. We can then treat your problem through safe, non-invasive methods such as:
Chiropractic adjustment - Cervical spinal adjustments can normalize joint position and head/neck alignment, easing stress on muscles and improving pain-free range of motion in the neck.
Spinal decompression - Non-surgical spinal decompression therapy can gently reposition bulging and herniated discs to relieve nerve impingement.
Laser therapy - Laser therapy can help injured neck tissues heal while easing pain and inflammation without drugs.
Our natural treatment methods can also relieve referred pain to the shoulder and/or address musculoskeletal issues in the shoulder joint itself.
Need a Neck Pain Chiropractor?
If you need a neck pain chiropractor, you need Maritime Chiropractic. Call 253-857-9100 today so we can start devising your personalized neck pain treatment plan!